3 Super Easy Natural Lip Scrub Recipes You Can Make At Home
Let's talk lip care! We all know what it's like to deal with flaky dry lips from time to time. Exposure to extreme conditions, especially dry winter and summer months, tend to make things even worse. Adding a natural lip scrub to your skin care routine (in combination with a soothing lip balm) can make all the difference!
Incorporating natural remedies does not have to be difficult, especially when it comes to lip scrubs.
They're super easy and fun to make!
A basic recipe involves at a minimum 2 ingredients: one to gently exfoliate (think ingredients like sugar, coffee, salts, oats, etc.) and one to serve as a base and help bring some nourishment to your lips (such as a seed butter or a non-toxic plant-based oil).
Additional ingredients help customize your blend to achieve specific results. For example, adding natural ingredients with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties can help prevent infections and speed up lip repair.
Here are 3 super easy lip scrub recipes to try that will help you achieve smooth, healthy lips in no time.
1. Coffee Lip Plumper Scrub – This scrub smells delicious and it's perfect for coffee lovers! However, it will feel very grainy and require a more gentle application. The caffeine will help rejuvenate lips, while the coconut oil and cinnamon will smooth and create a slight plumping effect. A slight tingling/warming sensation is completely normal for a few minutes post application due to the cinnamon increasing blood flow to the skin.
- 1 tsp of ground, dry coffee (unused)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
2. Sugar Lip Scrub – For a sweeter approach, whip up a quick sugar scrub with just 2 ingredients found in most kitchens. This is the perfect recipe for when you’re short on time and need a quick exfoliation.
- 1 tbsp white and/or brown sugar
- 1 tsp olive oil
3. Honey Oat Lip Scrub – Using oats will give you a gentle exfoliation. Honey has antibacterial properties and will help with lip repair, while the coconut oil and avocado oil will add a moisturizing component to the mix. If you prefer a smoother consistency, grind the oats prior to mixing.
- 2 tsp organic oats
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil (substitute olive oil if you don't have avocado)
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Wipe down a clean bowl, measuring spoons, and small air-tight container(s) with rubbing alcohol.
- Let air dry.
- Measure all scrub ingredients and add to bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer scrub to the air-tight container.
- Repeat per scrub.
- The scrubs can be stored for up to two months in a cool, dry place or refrigerated. Discard if you notice any changes to the texture or smell, this could indicate bacterial contamination (even if before the two months).
- Avoid introducing any water into the scrub. Always use a clean, dry, scoop every time you take some out.
USING A LIP SCRUB:
NOTE - As with any new skin care product, an inner arm patch test is recommended prior to full application as a quick check for potential irritation.
- Apply a small amount to clean lips and massage in a gentle, circular motion.
- Let sit for 2-3 minutes and rinse off.
- Pat dry with a clean cloth.
- Follow up with your favorite nourishing lip balm!
Use as needed, 1-3 times per week. Avoid using on broken skin.
And that's it!
Let us know if you enjoyed this post and show us your scrubs!
See you soon!
About the Author: Thanks for reading! Meet Yazeth, the founder of The Y&W Laboratory, an organic and cruelty-free natural skin care company. With a background in the clinical laboratory and extensive experience teaching health and wellness courses, her passion for holistic wellness led her to pursue additional training in natural skin care, aromatherapy, and herbal studies. If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to reach out to Yazeth and her team at The Y&W Laboratory!
ABOUT US: https://theyandwlab.com/pages/about-us
Subscribe to our YW Alerts mailing list to be notified of new blog posts, promotions, and for a chance to be randomly selected to try new products before they launch!
Did you find our blog useful? Share with friends!